This three-nave church in neo-Gothic style at the heart of the city on Freedom Square was completed in 1867.
The smart design of the altar and the painting Christ on the Cross (Karl Gottlieb Wenig, colourful stained-glass windows by Eva-Aet Jänes) and the chandeliers which are older than the building itself, make the church radiant. The oldest church bell with an Estonian text is also located in the church tower (1872).
The church is offset by the functionalist and art deco buildings.
Major construction work took place around the church in the 1930s when the Freedom Square began to look like it looks today, and turned into a place suitable for pedestrians.
The church is a popular concert venue.